SuperPower of the Week: Mindset
Do the inner work that supports your outer results.
Success in business is 50% skills and strategy and 50% mindset. And mindset will trump skillset every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
What is mindset? Your mindset is a combination of your emotions, personal psychology, thoughts, beliefs, values, attitudes, behaviors and habits. It’s your inner world. It’s who you are, how you show up, and what you believe. These are the powerful, unseen forces that are working behind the scenes in you, and in your business. And they will absolutely make or break you as an entrepreneur.
The reality is, you could have the Best Business Strategy In The World and a strong skillset to go with it, but none of that will matter if you have an underlying belief that you’re not good enough, or that no one will pay for your services, or if you have a paralyzing fear of putting yourself out there (the marketing kiss of death).
You need to be putting some of your attention and efforts on your own personal growth so you can move past internal obstacles and let go of beliefs that no longer serve you. Because they will get in the way of your business plans. They will undermine your strategy. And they will render your skills irrelevant. (It happened to me. You can read about some of my mindset misadventures here.)
Building a business is a marathon not a sprint, and therefore it requires a certain level of mental and emotional endurance, commitment, and grit. It requires enough self awareness to recognize when you are getting in your own way, when you need to get out of your proverbial comfort zone, or when you need to adopt a new belief in order to move forward.
The bottom line is, your business will only grow as big as your mindset. Think of your mindset as your internal glass ceiling. So it’s critical to cultivate a strong mental and emotional foundation that can uphold your dreams and your vision and evolve with your business.
Here are a just a few of the most important areas where you need to build mental and emotional resilience as a solopreneur…
- Your belief in yourself and the value of your product or service.
- A belief deep down that you deserve to succeed.
- A healthy and positive relationship with money.
- Openness to new ideas, making changes, and taking calculated risks.
- The courage and willingness to get out of your comfort zone and potentially get very uncomfortable at times.
- The self awareness to manage your ego and insecurities, which will try to drag you down in countless ways.
- The ability to not take things personally.
- The confidence to speak your truth, be visible, and be authentic in the field of business
- The determination, will and commitment to take steps forward in your business, even when facing fear of the unknown, potential failure, or the judgment of others.
Activate this superpower!
Here are a few simple journal prompts. I challenge to you to take 10-20 minutes and write thoughtful answers to these questions as a first step toward understanding how your mindset is impacting your business.
- What thoughts, beliefs, or values support you, motivate you, and contribute to your success?
- What thoughts, beliefs, or values are holding you back and keeping you from moving forward?
- How important is it to you to break through your inner resistance to success? What will happen if you don’t?
- What was your biggest takeaway from this journaling exercise?